Wednesday 22 April 2020

El Principito, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry



This was lent to me by a friend, who was surprised I hadn't read it as a child. It's a lovely book, one that works with drawings as well as words, I don't mean illustrations, I mean drawings which are used as well as words to tell the story. I wonder why other books don't do that more, and why drawings apparently aren't considered in books for adults.


It's the first book I've read in Spanish, so the tone and the voices of the characters seems foggier than they would in English, nevertheless it is a lovely story and one I'm sure more people will be familiar with than not. It's about relationships and how we treat the world around us, and what is and should be valued. Though, saying that, I wonder if there are many people in the world who really do value ownership, vanity and power, some certainly, but I think there are more who value other things.