Sunday 7 May 2017

Travels with Myself and Another, Martha Gellhorn

I hadn't heard of Martha Gellhorn until I found this book, though she was a renowned war correspondent, travel writer and novelist. She had an extraordinary life and I'm very interested to read more of her writing. This book follows her on five awful journeys; through China, the Caribbean, Africa, Russia and Israel.


The most striking thing in this book is Gellhorn's personality. I wonder how much of a different impression I would have got if I was reading about her thrilling experiences, rather than her hellish ones. She is searingly honest and doesn't try to be likeable, which is hugely freeing to read.

Gellhorn is extraordinary, she is very strong and whilst she complains a lot in this book it's not without reason. She never whines and isn't irritating, instead she is short tempered. She expects a lot from people and has no time for those she sees as incompetent or weak. She certainly has some prejudices too; sometimes her opinions and comments are difficult to take. She was fierce and I found the book refreshing.