Tuesday 20 August 2013

Metamorphosis and Other Stories, Franz Kafka

To be perfectly honest I found this pretty annoying. The story Metamorphosis is interesting, about a man who wakes one day to find he has turned into a giant insect. Kafka explains the family's reaction and how their attitude changes to him over time. In the Penal Settlement is also alright. However each of the other three stories are irritating and dull at best. The Burrow forces you to listen to the insecurities of a burrowing animal for pages and pages - it seems to be a theme that Kafka's characters are self absorbed and neurotic.


As it is Kafka you think there is a parallel meaning which will be important, or even just interesting. However the way in which he writes pushes you away and ensures you have none but a passing interest in what that might be. 

At the end of the book I got the feeling I got at the end of Women in Love- that I wouldn't like or agree with the author if I met them. Which, fairly or unfairly, means I am not inclined to spend my free time with them or their inventions.

I have just started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by .... I'm very excited as it has been highly recommended by someone who has never recommended me a less than brilliant book!