Thursday 21 February 2013

Penelope, Rebecca Harrington


This is an odd one. It follows Penelope as she starts at Harvard, we meet her as she moves in and the novel ends as she moves home for the summer. As I mentioned in my last post it is very American, I think it gets lost in translation, maybe if you went to university in America (preferably Harvard) it would make more sense.



Penelope is a bit of a drip, she has no opinions and doesn't ever know what's going on (to the point where you don't believe she could have ever got it together enough to apply to Harvard). The only reason she seems to be there is so the other characters have someone to bounce off. The others are all quite funny, but are over the top caricatures. It wasn't bad enough for me to stop reading it, there are some funny moments and bits you can relate to, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks Virago for the proof!

Next is The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. I've had my eye on this since it came out sometime last year, looks like a page turner.